Jonathon Townsend – Attorney
Jonathon Townsend brings close to a decade of experience representing a diverse range of clients to the Capua Law team. His practice has focused on business and employment law matters in state and federal courts including the Fourth and Ninth Circuits of the United States Courts of Appeal.
Originally from North Carolina, Mr. Townsend received his undergraduate degree in Economics and Political Science from UNC-Chapel Hill, and he graduated Order of the Coif from the UCLA School of Law, where he also served as a Comments Editor on the UCLA Law Review. He spent his first years practicing in California, first with Sullivan & Cromwell and later with Weintraub Tobin.
He returned to North Carolina in 2017, as a litigator in the Raleigh office of Womble Bond Dickinson, where he continued his focus on complex business and employment law matters.
Cases of note include:
- Represented one of the largest turkey producers in a nationwide antitrust class action alleging a conspiracy among poultry producers to fix compensation
- Successfully defended a well-known author and the founder of a private school against claims of employment discrimination, breach of contract, and defamation in the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Defended a large retailer and a pharmaceutical company against employment discrimination claims under the ADEA, ADA, and Title VII
- Successfully defended a laptop manufacturer in a putative class action alleging misrepresentations about a product; the complaint was dismissed before moving to discovery
- Represented real estate investment firm in North Carolina Business Court in an action alleging fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices in connection with the purchase of a company; the case was dismissed based on a motion for judgment on the pleadings
- Represented a non-traditional financial services company in regulatory investigations and civil actions filed in several state and federal courts
- Represented a cardroom operator in a lawsuit against local government based on the issuance of gambling licenses
- Represented several clients in litigation arising out of the purchase or sale of privately held companies
- Represented an oil company in a federal securities class action arising out of an oil spill in Alaska
- Represented a client in international arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce in case alleging fraud and misrepresentation
In his personal time, Jonathon enjoys exploring the hiking trails around Western North Carolina with his wife and dog, as well as watching the Tar Heels. We are happy to welcome him to our team!
- North Carolina, 2017
- California, 2013
- Business Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- International Arbitration
- Antitrust Class Action
- J.D., UCLA School of Law, 2013
- B.A., UNC-Chapel Hill, 2010
- North Carolina
- Fourth Circuit Court
- Ninth Circuit Court
- All federal district courts in North Carolina and California